Saturday, June 5, 2010

I Don't Want to Grow Up

Growing up is never easy. Trying to assert your independence during the toddlers years. The fear and exhilaration of starting school. Being picked on, ridiculed, bullied by schoolmates. Puberty! Acne, braces, gangly limbs, standing out somehow and those differences constantly being pointed out to you. Learning how to drive. Curfews. Consequences. Everything being a learning experience.

Growing up in the military...now that's something. All of those things...all those fears, all those milestones. But in different homes. Different states. Having that first day of school over and over. Are the new kids going to like me? How will I fit in here? What is our house going to look like? How long will we be here? Should I even try to make new friends?

I remember hating the military life as a child. It was hard. It set me apart. And I was incredibly shy. Not just shy. No, I was SHY! To the point of incapacitation. Therefore, moving to new areas and trying to meet new friends was incredibly difficult for me.

But obviously, I survived. I would say I finally thrived. I've heard women worry and wonder about raising their children within the military. They want to give their children a secure home. They don't want to move the kids about so much. Well, as an adult Army Brat I can vouch for the life. I would not have had my life any other way. Growing up is never easy, whether you are military or not.

I am grateful and thankful for all the experiences I have had in my life. I am strong. My shyness had no choice but to hit the road. I make friends easily and have no problems walking into rooms full of people I don't know. And finally, the life I've lived helps me to know that my daughter will thrive as well. I have no issues raising Little Butt as an Army Brat. It's a great life!

 

What are your fears about raising your children? 
Do you have any childhood fears or worries you were able to overcome in adulthood?
blog comments powered by Disqus