Sunday, July 11, 2010

Spouse Coffee July 2010 Edition


The other night I went to my second spouse coffee here at the new post. I had a good time at the last one but The Hubble definitely told me not to run into any tornadoes this time. If you haven't already heard about the first (and insane) spouse coffee you can find that here.

I told The Hubble this time I would try my hardest not to run into any crazy hail storms or tornadoes and I have to say it was a success...kind of. It did start raining as I was driving off post. But it wasn't much. LOL! I wonder if I'll ever make it out of a spouse coffee dry.

Knowing that last time they didn't actually have coffee at the spouse "coffee" Miss J said she was stopping by Starbucks and she would bring me some. Woohoo! That was a good start! And the food was a lot better this time than I remember it being last time. I took The Pioneer Woman's Olive Cheese Bread and it was very yummy.

There were different ladies there this time than they were last time. Some were repeats but they were only a few. We have a new Command Sergeant Major and I think his wife must be German or something...she didn't say much but had a very thick accent.

Coming up this week the Commanding General's wife is hosting a coffee for The Hubble's class. We spouses have been invited to attend. I think I'm going to sit this one out. The Hubble and I got into a little disagreement about it actually.

I told him I was planning on attending even though my girls aren't going. He thought this was a great idea...I told him I was going to wear a sweater. He got mad and told me not to go then.

See....I have tattoos. Several of them. And they are very visual. I have a 3/4 sleeve on my left arm and 3 tattoos on my right arm. I don't usually worry about them until we get into the higher ranks. I think it's respectful to cover them up in certain situations. The Hubble disagrees. He thinks I should never have to hide who I am. However, I feel like I am often judged because of my tattoos and when dealing with higher ranks and the more formal situations I like to cover them up to a certain extent.

I am not ashamed of my tattoos. I thought about the ramifications of having them before I permanently altered my body. But I'm not in The Hubble's school where I think they are just to snub my nose at the military and the "ideal" of an officer's wife. I am far from that ideal. Let me tell you! Haha!

Anyway. I've made contact with another wife and I'm hoping to add her to my very small (two) group of girls here. I also stayed away from one girl that I feel I made a fool of myself in front of at the last coffee. What can you do??

All in all I'm glad I attended. However, the Colonel's wife tends to use the forum to give suggestions to the spouses and try to mentor them on how best to handle certain people...especially when the soldier takes command of a Company. Since I've already been through that, I get a little bored. I find myself wanting to pipe up and tell her how we did things and give more insight. But I stay quiet. This is her show...not mine.

I do find myself wanting to help other military spouses. Especially the ones who have not been through as much as we have. I would like to share my experiences and help these future Company Commander spouses...but I feel it isn't my place.

There was a LT's wife that I should have exchanged information with. I looked for her on Facebook but had no luck finding her. She doesn't know anyone here and her husband was prior Navy. She mentioned she didn't know anyone here. I am the type of person who likes to collect friends and take care of people. I think about her and worry that she may be lonely and nervous about their new lives and have no one to talk to. I feel as though it's my duty to help her through these times. I don't know why I do this...I just do. I like to help.

Okay. I think this has turned into some rambling now so I guess I'll call it good. It was a good coffee and I'm glad I went. I actually look forward to the next one as well.

blog comments powered by Disqus