Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hurry Up and Wait Part Deux


Today I got to play another round of the Army's favorite game: hurry up and wait.

You would think that since I've been playing this game my entire life, I would be used to it. I guess not. I think it's different when you are a child versus when you are a spouse. This game directly influences my life more now than it did way back when. Or at least I'm more aware of it now. Who knows which it is...either way...it sucks.

I was going to post about the Battalion coffee last night but that will have to wait for another day. Today I need to talk about this game we all know and love.

See...we went to meet with The Hubble's branch manager today. Actually, last night one of the ladies at the coffee looked at me as if I had two heads when I said I was attending the meeting. I guess not all wives do this. I do. This is as much a part of my life as it is The Hubble's so why shouldn't I attend this meeting.

I went into this meeting knowing that it was an initial interview. Basically, the branch manager wanted to just have face to face time with The Hubble and find out what regions of the country (or what other countries) in which we would like to live. And remember, just because we would like to live there doesn't mean there's a chance in Hell we actually will live there.

This is kind of where my frustration with the game came in. I guess I thought that a branch manager was there to help a soldier find out where he or she fits. What the options are so to speak. Well, The Hubble started naming some areas and it seemed like each time something was mentioned he was told he isn't eligible for that unit or battalion.

See...The Hubble is somewhat of an anomaly. We kind of don't fit in right now. Currently he is attending what is called a Captain's Career Course. This school is to train Junior Captain's how to become an efficient and successful Company Commander. From this course, the Junior Captain will receive orders to a unit in which he will jump in a Command queue awaiting his or her turn as a Company Commander. Sounds great right? I would think so too if the Hubble hadn't already been a Rear Detachment Commander for a year and a Company Commander for 36 months after that. Basically what I'm saying is that the boy has had plenty of command time. He is now a Senior Captain so the duty station options that are usually open to students in the Career Course are not open to him. He is in a kind of limbo at the moment. He's not a Junior Captain going into a Command queue and neither is he a Major ready to take his turn in a Battalion.

Where do we fit? Who knows??

The information we received today was a lot of "you can't have that" and "we won't know until late September/early October." I understand this seeing as how we aren't leaving until March anyway (maybe). I guess I just wanted more. And I shouldn't have wanted more. I should have known that I would get the bare minimum if anything at all.

I should be thankful that The Hubble got face time with his branch manager and made his top priority/desire more than clear. We know what we want, it's just a matter of getting Big Army to jump on the bandwagon with us.

Until we know more, my life is still on hold. I have no idea where I will be a year from now. I don't know if my "home" at that time will be semi-permanent or an all out temporary place. I won't be able to pursue school any time in the near future and I don't know what is in store for Little Butt or the state of my family. For now, I will be thankful for the days I have with The Hubble and Little Butt. I will be grateful for the fabulous women I have met both here in this state and in the bloggyverse who make me feel connected and valid. I am here. We have not fallen through the cracks. It will all be figured out in the end. We will reluctantly play the game. What choice do we have?

Most importantly, we will find a way, or make one. Because that is what we do...that's how we roll.

For Further Reading Check Out:
blog comments powered by Disqus