Saturday, July 24, 2010

Defying Definition One Niche at a Time



Over the last couple of days I've been thinking about my previous post. About being niche-less.

I've received several comments from fellow milspouses and women bloggers about being niche-less and loving it. 

Why is it that the human brain needs to put things, including people, into definable categories?

The brain is a type of filing system. As new events are experienced, the brain attempts to retrieve previous, yet similar, information so as to classify this most recent data. 

We classify new information so we will know what to do with it. 

This also works in reverse order. When we are faced with certain experiences we retrieve the particular "file" within our brain that houses the appropriate response to this situation.

So what happens when you run across something you have never experienced before? What happens when you just can't classify something?

A new file is created.

Military spouses don't fit in a "normal" category. And let's face it; the majority of the population has nothing to do with the military. So naturally, the wouldn't know how to classify and categorize us outside of military spouse. 

And let's not even talk about the women bloggers who fall through the cracks of the "classification system" as well. There are too many to count!

I've been trying to place myself into a preexisting niche or category and it just won't work. I don't fit there.

In some aspects I do. I can relate to other mommy blogger's stories. I can relate to a shared passion for literature amongst book bloggers. And who isn't able to relate to food? LOL!

But my stories of motherhood are sometimes tainted with the loneliness and heartache of a missing spouse.

The literature I read is sometimes my only companion when facing a long, dark night on my own.

The food I make and share is sometimes in an attempt to create a "home" out of yet another new house.

So yeah. I don't fit. There's no special "milspouse" niche. But that's okay. I transcend niches. I move in and out of niches as I do cities, countries, home.

If you think about it...in a way...I encompass them all. No one niche can contain me because I always have to be flexible, adaptable, and able to take on any new experiences with gusto. 

Mine is a life that is not easily classified.

But what of the other women bloggers? The academics, the artists, the rebels. These women who are also mothers, wives, fiances, students and all around badass chicks?? They may not directly feel the effects of a deployment but they are not easily defined either.

And on top of this...what about the men? The daddy blogger? The male milspouse? Where do these guys go?

So yeah. I say we stay out of the box. If we allow anyone to place us in the box we will not be able to grow and evolve. And I don't know about you...but I like that whole improvement and development thing. I like to expand my knowledge and make myself...more. 

If we "niche" ourselves...where's the chance for progression??

I'm incredibly interested in you. Why do you love being niche-less? What makes you undefinable? 

You can either link up and meet other niche-less ladies or tell me in the comments. I can't wait to hear why you love being niche-less!




For additional reading check out:
blog comments powered by Disqus