Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let's Dance

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.

Let's dance.

Okay, okay. You know the song (I hope) so I don't have to keep going.

Hmmm...I haven't played along with the song link up lately...maybe tomorrow's song has just been chosen. ;-)

Anywhoooo.

Ever since Little Butt could stand, she has been shaking her money maker.

The girl loves to move. She loves to dance.

She would watch Dancing with the Stars with me (even at 2 years old) and try to copy the moves the dancers are doing. You should have seen her on wobbly feet trying to do the jive! Too cute!!

Recently, she told me she wanted to be a ballerina.

I figured that since she finally asked, I would find a way to get her in dance.

I found a great place that is about 3 miles down the road from us. What's even more awesome is that they were having a summer special! For $100 I was able to sign Little Butt up for the All-Access Pass. Basically, however many classes in her age range she wants to take, she can!

For the last few weeks, she has been going to Cheer/Tumble and Ballet/Tap/Jazz.

Now, these summer courses are not too incredibly focused. Especially since there are so many kids in each class. The instructors tell me that the class attendance is usually half of what it is right now.

Oh well. I figured we would try it out, see what Little Butt likes and go from there.

Well...Little Butt has some focus issues.

I don't know if it's because she's four, or because she's often in her own little world.

Let's first talk about Cheer/Tumble.


First off, here's the rad outfit she picked out. Yes...those are multi-colored leopard print shorts. That's my girl!

The first class Little Butt had a lot of trouble paying attention. She kept losing her place in line. She wouldn't stay where she was supposed to. She was making noise. She was just generally being a bother to the other students.


When the other girls were trying to learn the cheer...she just stood there.


Then she decided she had no idea what they were doing so she did her own thing!

I ended up getting so frustrated with her because she started screaming and singing and being a nuisance to the other students that I took her out of class 10 minutes early.

I screamed and yelled at her the whole 3 miles home then I put her to bed. I was so angry!

She laid in her bed and cried and threw a fit. I walked into the living room, sat down and proceeded to have a meltdown of my own.

I don't think I've ever cried so hard in my life!

I was sobbing. I was a mess. I couldn't breathe. I knew I had to calm down.

I tried calling The Hubble but I couldn't speak without sobbing in his ear so I hung up on him.

He called back and talked me down "off the ledge."

I have no idea what came over me.

I think it must have been a combination of a lot of things. The whole WAY pregnant thing doesn't help. The Hubble is gone. Little Butt has been acting up and testing limits lately...when she's not crying for her Daddy.

I think it all just needed to come out! I especially think that since I felt much better the next day.

I actually found this on pinterest later that day (or the next day, I can't remember) and it spoke volumes to me:


Since that day, we've had a lot of talks about how she should behave in class. 

The classes have been much better, not perfect, but better.


In Ballet/Tap/Jazz, the first half hour is spent doing ballet. I peek in at her from time to time and see her doing so well on the bar. 

It's so cute to watch her!


But the last half hour, when they put on their tap shoes...it's like she can't control herself!

She gets those shoes on and there is no way she can stay still and learn the routine!

When I peeked in on one of the classes, she was standing in her spot in front of the mirror, yes. But while all the other little girls were watching the teacher, Little Butt was tapping and spinning away...oblivious that there was anyone else in the room.

This last class, I looked in and saw all the little girls in a circle, twirling around with pretty little ribbons in their hands. But where was Little Butt??

Across the room. Stomping and roaring and being a T-Rex. Yup.

Then she walked out of class. She decided she was done. It was 15 minutes until the end of class. 

I didn't know what to do so we changed her shoes and left.

So now I'm confused as to what to do.

I know I'm going to have her finish out the summer session. 

She's usually really excited about going when we are getting ready.

But when she walks out of class early, do I let her leave? Or do I try to teach her now not to give up on things so easily? Do I force her to stay in class and finish it out?

Then, do I sign her up for the fall session?

I don't want her to grow up and blame me for not pushing or encouraging her to do things.

Sometimes, I wish my parents would have encouraged or pushed me to continue...or try. 

The Hubble thinks maybe she's just too rambunctious for dance. He thinks we should try soccer (he was inspired by watching the women's soccer game against Japan). 


I have no idea what to do with this kid. LOL!!

Any advice from moms, aunts, teachers, dads....anyone???? Bueller??
blog comments powered by Disqus