Saturday, November 13, 2010

Couch to 5k: Week Four

Photo by emples

Fail!

Sadly, this week was another off week and I just didn't get the job done.

I went on a long walk with a friend Sunday afternoon and I'm starting to see a trend. It seems when I do something on Sunday, I just lose the week's running. 

When I had an off week for week three the first time I had done a yoga session on the Sunday afternoon before. Oh well. 

Monday, I got to the track and I was walking a lap to get my body warmed up before I started the intervals. As I was on the other side, 3 guys walked onto the field and started measuring. They spread string or something across the track. I asked them if I would be in their way and they said no, they were just finding the center of the track. Oooookkkkaaaayyyy. 

So I had to go around or step over their string. It was weird to have them just standing there. It felt like they were watching me. I was very distracted. I was able to do the first half of the intervals but lost it after that. 

I was hoping to salvage the week but when I arrived at the track on Wednesday there were Army guys training behind the bleachers. That usually doesn't bother me but one of the trainer guys had one of the trainee guys come run a couple laps while the trainer guy was timing him. 

So again, I felt like I was being watched (whether I was or not I just felt like it). I lost it. I just couldn't get it back.

When I took Little Butt to daycare on Friday, I came outside after dropping her off and it was raining. Seriously??

I called The Hubble and asked if I should just run in the rain, give it time to quit or just go home. He said give it about 10 minutes (where we live it does that, rains for 10 minutes then stops). So I drove over to the track. Sure enough, by the time I got to the track (about a 2 minute drive from the daycare) it had stopped raining. 

There was one guy on the track. No big deal right? I started to do my thing. Everything was good. Then this humvee with a couple guys drinking coffee decided to park right in front of the track and just sit there. There went my run. Blah!

Maybe I have performance anxiety or something. I just don't like it when I feel like people are watching me. It makes me feel...I don't know...weird. I get distracted and lose my breathing. I also feel like I need to do better so I think I run a bit faster and that makes things worse. 

On a side note though...I have decided that Army MP's really like pick up trucks. 

The track I run on has an MP building right next to it. So I watch the MP's come and go during the time that I'm there. When you look at their little parking lot it seems to always be pickup trucks. I counted on Monday and 5 out of 7 vehicles were pickup trucks. On Wednesday, 7 out of 10 vehicles were pickup trucks and the other 3 were SUV's. Friday they were off for Veteran's Day weekend but I'm sure there would have been a bunch. 

Okay. Let's get to how my week went. 

Week 4 of the Couch to 5k program is:

Warm up 5 minutes
Run 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds
Run 5 minutes, walk 2 1/2 minutes
Run 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds
Run 5 minutes, walk 2 1/2 minutes
Cool down 5 minutes

My week:

Monday: 2 1/4 miles 29 minutes 24 seconds (did the first half but lost the rest).

Wednesday: 2 1/4 miles (I don't know the time because my watch reset somehow. I ran the 3 minute interval then continued with 3 minutes throughout. Couldn't get to the 5 minute run).

Friday: 2 1/4 miles 28 minutes 40 seconds (ran the first 3 minute interval then made up my own intervals).

I will try again. I'm trying hard to become a runner and it doesn't seem to be working. The Hubble says to keep plugging away at it. I hope I get there. I'm trying.

Oh, I also found out I won't be able to do a Turkey Trot this year. My stepbrother is graduating Army Basic Training in Ft. Knox the day before Thanksgiving so we'll be traveling on Thanksgiving day. 

I found out there is a Turkey Trot here on the 20th but we are leaving for my dad's place in Alabama on the 20th. What can you do?? 

For Further Reading Check Out:
blog comments powered by Disqus