Saturday, October 30, 2010

Couch to 5k: Week Three

Photo by emples

Fail!

Sadly, this week definitely didn't go very well for me. 

I don't know if it's because the weather finally got cool or if I was just worn out this week or what. It could also have something to do with the intense yoga session I had with a couple friends on Sunday. Who knows. 

Monday I was doing pretty good. Until I got to the end of the intervals. I ended up walking about 10-15 seconds during the last run time. A friend of mine showed up to walk with me and I think I walked really fast at the end to try to catch up with her. 

Wednesday I was able to run all the intervals I was supposed to. I thought I was doing really great! My time was a bit slower than Monday but I could live with that.

Friday. I woke up early and was tired. I wasn't feeling too well to begin with. And it was super cold that day. By the time my 5 minute warm up was "done" my hands were completely numb. When I started running I could feel that the muscles in my legs were still tight and cold. My last run interval was full of fail. I couldn't run the time at all. I ended up running the straights and walking the curves (remember I run on a track) until I finished the number of laps I like to complete.

Week 3 of the Couch to 5k program:

Warm up 5 minutes.
Run 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds. Run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Repeat once for a total of 2 repetitions.
Cool down 5 minutes.

My week:

Monday: 2 1/2 miles 28 minutes 57 seconds (walked 10-15 seconds in the middle of second 3 minute running interval).

Wednesday: 2 1/4 miles 29 minutes 10 seconds (ran all required intervals).

Friday: 2 1/4 miles 31 minutes 19 seconds (could not run second 3 minute running interval. Ran straights, walked curves until completion of 9 laps, then walked a lap to cool down).

So...that means I have to repeat this week. I can't move forward to another week until I've mastered the week I'm in.

I am somewhat disappointed. But, on the other hand, I'm not disappointed at all. 

I know I tried and that's what counts. So my body didn't want to keep up this week. That's okay. We'll try again next week. 

I can only do what I can do. I think I definitely need more of a warm up time though. My body just doesn't warm up as quickly in cooler weather as it does in the warmer weather.

And gloves. I definitely need to wear gloves on those cool mornings. It's just to distracting...and somewhat painful. 

So that's that. I will be repeating week 3 this coming week. Wish me luck!

For Further Reading Check Out:
blog comments powered by Disqus