Saturday, October 16, 2010

Couch to 5K: Week One

Photo by emples

Success!!

At the end of last year I discovered a program called Couch to 5k

This is a running program that helps you go from the couch (never running) to a 5k in about 9 weeks. 

One of my goals for this year was to be able to run a 5k.

I did a 5k in February. The Race for the Cure actually. It was so much fun! But I only ran about a mile in the beginning (I had no idea I could even run a mile straight). I ran a little bit more at the end but didn't cross the finish line running. I felt like I was going to die at the end so I ended up walking across the finish line. 

I keep starting this program and something gets in the way. 

I think the furthest I've gotten in the program was week 4, trying desperately to get to week 5.

I ended up getting shin splints REALLY badly at one point last year. Then I've started it off and on since January. Butt all the moving and traveling kind of kept me from completing it. 

That, or I just didn't have the dedication to the program that I needed to complete it.

So now, I'm determined. I really want to do a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving this year. I want to run it. The whole thing. That only gives me 7 weeks. 

Can I do it? I don't know. I hope so.

I have started out strongly and I know that doing that kind of thing pushes and motivates you further than you normally go on your own. so I have high hopes.

I think writing about it may help. I hope so.

So this week I did really well and I'm proud of myself.

The program only requires 3 days a week. I figure Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are good since Little Butt goes to daycare those days.

Monday was Columbus day though. The daycare was closed. And The Hubble was home. It's difficult for me to leave the house when The Hubble is home. But I did it! I did my first day on a holiday and left Little Butt and The Hubble to their own devices.

Wednesday there were no issues. Little Butt went to daycare and I did my thing. Although, I was SO freaking tired. I didn't sleep the night before (I have issues with insomnia sometimes). I felt like I was dragging and there was a nice breeze for wind resistance. I sucked bad that day. I got a really bad cramp in my right rib area too.
Friday, The Hubble had his graduation from the Career Course here so I couldn't go to the track. HOWEVER, I went this morning on my own. Yes! I went on a Saturday and it was amazing!

Week one of the C25K program is:

Warm up 5 minutes
Run 1 minute, walk 90 seconds (repeat for a total of 20 minutes)
Cool down 5 minutes

30 minutes total.

I do time and distance. 2 miles on the track is 8 laps. I make sure I do 9 laps. 

Here's how my week broke down:

Monday: 2 1/4 miles 31 minutes 6 seconds

Wednesday: 2 miles 30 minutes 34 seconds (I told you I was dragging!)

Saturday: 2 1/4 miles 29 minutes 57 seconds

I can't believe I shaved about a minute off my time from Monday to today!!! I'm so stinking proud of myself.

Wednesday was really bad. But at the end I took a good 5 minutes or so and did some yoga stretches. That really invigorated me. 

I don't know if my better time today was because of the added yoga stretches or because I had 2 days to rest in between Wednesday and today. 

I guess we'll find out on Monday! 

Have you started any new programs or projects recently that have made you proud of yourself? What were they?

For Further Reading Check Out:
blog comments powered by Disqus