Sunday, December 5, 2010

Couch to 5k: Week Five

Photo by emples

Success!

So, I know I haven't posted anything about this for a couple weeks.

Honestly, with all the traveling we did over Thanksgiving, I ended up taking a whole week off. It was unintentional. I ran that Monday, then not again until the following Monday.

When I looked at week 5 last week I thought...there's no way I'm going to be able to do this.

I mean, on Friday they expect you to run 20 minutes straight. No walking! 

This for the girl who has been repeating every week twice? Who felt like she was going to die at the end of running 5 minutes?? No way was this going to happen!

But happen it did! I couldn't believe it!!! I did it!!! I ran for 20 minutes straight!!!

I thought the week was going to be a bust though.

Monday I went to the track and it was crazy windy. The sky was super dark and I didn't even need my sunglasses (but I kept them on anyway). The wind resistance was incredible. 

But I was able to complete the require intervals. I felt awesome. I knew I could do it though because I had done it the Monday before in Alabama.

After that workout, I had The Hubble walk me through the gym on post so that I could start going inside on bad weather days. I really want to use the gym sparingly. I'm just not a treadmill person.

On Wednesday, it was bright and sunny outside. But it was cold. C-O-L-D. Freezing! Like seriously. 

I got to the track and did a 'warm-up' lap. By the end of that lap I knew I had to stop and get my gloves (which I found in the trunk of my car!). I put them on and tried another 'warm-up' lap. 

I knew then that I should have taken it inside. My face and thighs were completely numb. I couldn't feel my lips but when I would rub them together they felt like they were taking up half of my face.

Pretty much I felt like this:


But for some stupid reason, I decided to try to stick it out. That didn't really work out. I did good the first half, which was an 8  minute run. But the second 8 minute run, I ended up walking for half a lap in the middle of that one. After the workout I was frozen solid. 

And I sneezed about a million times. It was crazy! 

It took me about half the day to warm up.

Friday was warmer so I headed to the track. When I got there, there were a bunch of soldiers setting up tents around the track so I parked and decided to take the urban trail that goes through and around post. 

I figured if I could do Wednesday over again that would be cool. 

I got to 8 minutes and felt great so I pushed it to 10 minutes. By then I figured if I was already halfway there maybe I could push it a bit further. 

Well, by the time I made it to the 15 minute mark there was no turning back. I was going to finish the full 20 minutes or pass out trying. 

The only bad part is that the last 5 minutes was at a steady incline. A friend of mine always told me she hated that slight hill because it was at the end of her run and it never let up...

I completely understand that now.

So. I'm counting this week as a success since I succeeded 2 out of 3 days. 

I am nervous with the weather getting colder. 

Will I be able to run on a treadmill for that extended amount of time?

I already feel like I was going crazy and wasn't at my best going circles around a track.

I guess I will do what I have to do. 

Week five of the Couch to 5k program is:

Monday:
Warm up 5 minutes
Run 5 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 5 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 5 minutes

Wednesday:
Warm up 5 minutes
Run 8 minutes
Walk 5 minutes
Run 8 minutes (I failed at this part)

Friday:
Warm up 5 minutes
Run 20 minutes (no walking)

So seriously. I still cannot believe I was able to run for 20 minutes straight! 

I am completely amazed with myself at this moment. We will see how this week goes.

But I wanted to let you all know that I'm still going strong.

Oh! Also, I'm planning on starting the 30 day shred challenge in mid to late January. Anyone interested in joining? We can start a group and keep each other motivated and hold each other accountable.

If you are interested, a couple friends and I started a Facebook page called Operation Motivation: Fiercely Achieving Fabulosity.

And just one last thing before I go. Please jump over to my friend Amanda's page and congratulate her. Amanda has started her journey to a healthier her and has already lost 19 pounds in 7 weeks!!!

Okay. That is all.

Carry on.

For Further Reading Check Out:
blog comments powered by Disqus